Wednesday, October 8, 2008

What I hope to remember about this past weekend

What an insanely, great weekend I had. Last Saturday was Cavalcade ( a local band competition, which I am co-chair of concessions), and my niece got married.


Tom's family arrived Thursday night. I was again reminded why I am so grateful to have married into this wonderful family. We managed to find beds for two of his brothers and their wives and one daughter and grandson. The accommodations may not have been five stars, but they were most gracious and appreciative of Cam's double bed and the airbed we put in Court's room.

Friday, my very talented sister-in-law, did a photo shoot of my nephews family. I tagged along, hoping to learn from her. She has a good eye for what looks good in pictures. I wish I could spend more time with her learning from her and getting a better grasp of what makes a great photo.

I snapped a few pictures behind my sister-in-law. This is one of the few that turned out pretty cute. Their daughter Olivia, is soooo much fun! I wish they lived closer.

On Friday night we helped decorate for the wedding. If you notice in the back, their is a bouncy house for the kids. Tom's sister Janna is such a good grandma. She was thinking of the kids and how to make this wedding fun for them.

I told the coordinators of Cavalcade I would not be there, but I would help with all the prep work. I picked up the potatoes, got the health permit, called Pepsi and had the drinks delivered and with the help of two hard working, wonder women, did the shopping for the event. So, when Court called and said she needed money, I jumped at the chance to run down to see how things were going. In my five years of doing Cavalcade, I have never had a health inspector check out the concessions. Shortly after I arrived, I noticed a lady with a clipboard talking to my friend and taking notes. They passed with flying colors! Whew!

After helping with the bridal shoot for a little while, we changed and headed to the church for the wedding. Tom performed the ceremony and was very nervous. He thought he was shaking so hard that everyone could tell. His words were sweet and loving. He talked about the legacy of love that they have come from. The groom's family are not members, but enjoyed the words he gave to the new couple. It was a small wedding, mostly family and close friends, it was what they wanted and was very nice.

We were able to get back to Cavalcade in time to watch Courtney perform. One of Tom's brothers, his wife and daughter came also. Their show is getting better every time I see it. Because our school was hosting the competition, they didn't compete. They did their show as an exhibition performance.

________________________

This weekend is another exciting and exhausting one. Tomorrow we are going north to fulfill a dream for my twelve year old. We are going with the band, to see The Phantom of the Opera. Maddy is very excited. We get to meet the cast and she is bringing her phantom mask to have signed and also the phantom sweatshirt we got her for Christmas last year. On Saturday is Courtneys first competition. We are looking forward to cheering our favorite flag twirler.


9 comments:

Debie Spurgeon said...

How awesome for Maddie to go to Phantom. Elizabeth told me she was going and how excited she was because she is the "biggest Phantom fan ever."

My girls and I went to the band competition on Sat night and froze our tails off. It was quite entertaining. We didn't buy any concessions though.

terramisu said...

Love, Love, Love the Bouncy house idea! Glad your weekend rocked!!!

Nicki said...

I went to Kylie's volleyball games in Yakima, so I didn't get to see the band. However, she rode the bus home and when I picked her up two bands were getting ready to march down and Pasco was still practicing. It was so late I couldn't believe it. We tried to sneak behind the bands walking down and see what was happening, but I chickened out. Glad it was a success. You are amazing to be so willing to help PHS.

Amy J. said...

I hope you have a great time in Spokane and at Phantom. I loved hearing about your busy busy week...I am so glad next week slows down for you.

Jan said...

Good to talk to you today. Sounds like your still as busy as ever.

Sonja said...

Wow, it does sound like you had a great weekend. I'm so envious that you get to see The Phantom of the Opera!!! I've always wanted to see that.

Deborama said...

We want Tom to come renue our vows for us, does he do that!? :) He is so awesome. What good picture skills did you learn, share.

Jodi said...

You can practice your photography skills by taking pictures of my family. We're quite the challenge and we're due for a new family picture. Just let me know when you're available. I'm so excited. ;)

LKP said...

the bouncy house is the ultimate family wedding idea ever! kudos to your sister in law. any weekend spent around phantom has to be the best weekend! i still have yet to see it in person...i dig the movie, but my phantom book that sits in my piano bench is as close as i've gotten personally. lol. though there's just something about "music of the night" and "think of me" that makes my soul smile. lucky lady. hey, not sure if you'd heard about the progressive carnival. if you want info, i just posted some. buzz me or message me with any questions. hope to see ya'll that night. =)
-Keely