Wednesday, February 18, 2009

What makes me smile....

I Spent the day yesterday, taking sofa and loveseat cushion covers off of our very used but comfortable set and washing them. I decided they were old enough, I was willing to risk tossing them in the washer to see what would happen. The back cushions were floppy and no longer did their job. So I bought some new foam, (there was an amazing Presidents' day sale!) cut it to fit and stuffed them back into the cushions.

They went from this...

and this...

To this.....

and this....


The picture doesn't show how much better they really look. They are still old and a bit grungy looking, but the improvement is huge! While the covers were washing, I took the opportunity to scrub the dirty arm rests and back. I feel like I bought new furniture!


Last night, I watched Courtney perform in her winter concert. She has a sixth sense when it comes to my camera, and has learned some pretty evasive moves to avoid being caught by my lens. Luckily, I captured this image by sheer luck. The rest of the pitures I took of the evening, have a music stand stratigically placed in front of her face.




And finally, the lighting was put in the house and this pretty little number makes me grin every time I see it. I LOVE it! It now hangs in the entry way waiting to welcome visitors.








10 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow those couches looks great! We got second hand couches when we got married and I lucked out at a target sale and got slip covers... And nice lighting fixture! I like that a lot! Well little lady, you best be checking my blog because I am pretty sure that you got dared!

meohmyers said...

Great job on your couches! They look so good! I love your light fixture, too. I bet you're getting so excited seeing everything come together.

Stacia said...

I have a very light cream chair that just a few days ago I was thinking of scrubbing! Those do look better and newer! Where did you get your foam? The place by the employment center?

That entry way light is very nice, good lighting can make a giant difference in how a home feels!

Deborama said...

those look perfect! What a good idea! I love Courtney's smile! I hear they get hard to capture as they turn into teens! :) Your house is so exciting!

Jessica said...

WOW! Those couches look great! I just might have to try that trick!

Nicki said...

I love the light! Courtney is so funny. She needs to show off her beautiful smile for your camera.

LKP said...

awesome on the furniture! we have a denim couch which i immediately fell in love with 4 years ago. it's not saggy really, matter of fact i ADORE falling asleep on it---the only problem is that nobody prepped me for how faded and uneven the denim can become. i want to totally toss my covers in the washer (they should hold up) but then the denims would miss match from the covers being one shade and the rest of the couch another...i'm at a loss, so if you have any awesome ideas on how to tackle my little fiasco then i'm all ears. =)

Amy J. said...

What an awesome feeling! I love taking something old and making is almost like new again! That light is gorgeous!

Jodi said...

I love your light fixture!!! And were your couches microfiber? I'm trying to figure out the easiest (and fastest) way to clean ours.

Sonja said...

Wow! The difference between the before and after pictures of the couch is amazing! I love turning something old into something new. Many people would have just purchased new ones so you saved money too :)