Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Bathroom etiquette

After spending several minutes plunging a stubbornly clogged toilet, Tom was very frustrated. This was not the first time he had been given the honored job of toilet fixer. Someone in our home has decided that if a little bit of toilet paper is good, a LOT of toilet paper must be even better. This, of course, results in a mass of toilet paper (and other stuff) refusing to flush! Tom suggested that we have a discussion on the appropriate usage of toilet paper.

This morning, as I was getting some members of the family ready for school, I decided to take the opportunity to have this discussion. I told them when they used the bathroom, they didn't need to use so much toilet paper, and if they really felt like they needed more, they would need to flush and then use more. I felt like I had gotten my point across very well. They looked like they understood what I was trying to tell them. I asked them to try not to let the toilet get clogged again. One child's eyes lit up and eagerly said, "It wasn't me, I don't use any toilet paper!"

I guess I get to have another discussion on toilet paper.

8 comments:

terramisu said...

Thanks for no posting a picture. That is super funny!!!

Jodi said...

LOL!! That's hilarious Terri!

Debie Spurgeon said...

Ha, Ha!

Whenever I think of toilet paper I am reminded of my friend whose father had them on a strict ration. They were allowed only three squares per toilet visit.

Nicki said...

Funny! Funny! Funny! Just teach them how to plunge. I've taught two children so far and it's great.

Deborama said...

That would be a fun talk to hear! How funny.

LKP said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Complete revelation you hadn't bargained on getting, eh? LOL! Speaking of TP rationing, my old step uncle had a rule (they had 7 or 8 kids so they rationed for more than just the clogging reason): #1 only warrants 1 square, #2 only warrants 2 squares---THAT'S IT!!! I used to hold it for HOURS just so I didn't have to follow his rule at his house! Just the thought of a broken barrier......shivers...UGH! Thanks for making me laugh today. =0)

tharker said...

Oh, kids!

This reminds me of a time when Hannah was 3 or 4. She had just come out of the bathroom, and since I was in the kitchen, I could hear everything. I had not heard the toilet flush, nor the water run for washing her hands. I told her to go back in and do both, to which she replied, "Mom, I don't need to wash my hands because I didn't wipe!"

So gross, yet it really makes for a funny story!

Attitude of Gratitude said...

When was the last time I commented on your blog--it has been tOO long. Anyway--hilarious post. Love the part about the no toilet paper usage. Fun, fun, fun the job of a Mother.