Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Back to school

Mckenna with her new teacher Mrs. Simpkin

Mckenna started third grade today. I have been told by many people the school she is going to is wonderful, I'm sure it is. As I walked Kenna to her new class, I felt like I was in a foreign land. My three older kids have all gone to the same elementary school, it was very familiar and comfortable. Mckenna keeps telling me that she is fine with going to a new school where she knows NOBODY her age, but the last few nights have told us differently. She has not been able to go to sleep. She tearfully asks her dad to lay with her, then she finally, fitfully, falls to sleep.

Last night, I put her to bed without our annual father's blessings, Tom hadn't gotten home from his church duties. I figured the blessing would count, even if it was a day late. When he got home, he checked on her and found her sobbing in her bed. He scooped her up and brought her downstairs. She looked so little when he sat her in a chair with her puffy eyes and tear streaked cheeks. He gave her a beautiful blessing, promising her that she would be calm and at peace. Shortly after the blessing, she climbed on my lap and I rocked her and sang her favorite lullaby to her. Tom carried her to bed where she slept well and woke excited for her new school. I am still anxious, I hope she finds some good friends. But for her, I feel so blessed to have her dad hold the precious power to calm her troubled spirit.

10 comments:

♥miss~mattie♥ said...

I had a great day of school. I was looking for Mckenna. I couldn't find her. I'll look for her again tomorrow. Have a great day.
Bye bye.♥☺♥

Sonja said...

What a sweet story! There is such comfort in a blessing from dad, my kids are beginning to understand that.

Jan said...

Oh that sweet thing in her bed crying. That breaks my heart. So glad that Bishop came to the rescue. Like Mattie said, I was so happy when she told me she was looking all over for her. She didn't want her to be lonely. I love activity days where they get to know each other like that. It will get better for her and she will easily make friends. Look at that mug. Who couldn't resist that.

dandee said...

What a special experience. Something I'm sure you'll always remember.

Amy J. said...

I was going to call you today and see how her day went! That is one of the sweetest stories ever. Your husband is such a nice guy and a true example to all the men in the ward!

Debie Spurgeon said...

I hope this week is going well. I'm touched that you shared this very special experience.

Brent usually gives our kids Father's blessings the Sunday before, but because the girls were gone, we pushed it back to this Sunday. It didn't sit well with me to have a few days of school without it. We'll get it done this weekend. What a beautiful gift this is to our children.

Elizabeth said...

what school does kenna go to now.
blog4ever!

Jodi said...

What a sweet story. I just love having McKenna in my class. I reminded her that Sydney goes to Livingston. Hopefully they'll find eachother. I know no matter what though, McKenna will make LOTS of friends.

Attitude of Gratitude said...

K- Where is Kenna's teacher from and is her first name Amy? Just wondering. She looks so much like a roommate I had back at BYUI for a short semester. curious. . .

rip said...

Hillary, I think her first name is Jaime. She was married over the summer, her last name was Durfee. I don't know where she is from, but she seems nice.

Are you in danger from the "big Storm"?