Friday, August 8, 2008

Our trip

It was nice to get away for a few days. Our batteries were getting pretty low. We enjoyed ourselves and only wished it was a little bit longer.

Wednesday
We traveled with Tom's sister and her husband to Idaho. We decided to make a stop in Twin Falls to tour the new temple. It was truly a BEAUTIFUL building. I had a hard time suppressing a little envy over the layout and size of this gorgeous temple. We felt like true investigators, because we literally pulled off the freeway into the parking lot. Tom's sisters plates were Washington and for some reason our rental vans plates were from Nevada. We didn't change our clothes, and I was a bit uncomfortable in my street clothes, but I'm so glad we got the opportunity to show the inside of a temple to our kids.

Outside of Burley, is Tom's family cabin. We stayed there and I loved falling asleep to the sound of my four kids giggling upstairs in the loft. (The picture of the bear in the slide show was the reason for some of the laughter.)

Thursday
After Tom and Howard worked on the lawn outside the cabin, and I took the girls for a photo shoot at Elba park, we headed to Salt Lake for our nephews wedding dinner. My Mom took the kids to dinner and then to a park. They enjoyed their time with her. Courtney was impressed by how Grandma knew everything about Salt Lake. (Probably because her parents seemed to make wrong turns constantly.) The wedding dinner was nice. It was in the Old Spaghetti Factory in Trolley Square.

Friday
The wedding was held in the Salt Lake Temple. The brides ninety-seven year old great-grandpa was the sealer. He was a cute little man who liked the fact that she was marrying into a family of people his size.

The kids stayed at temple square and toured (stalked). Courtney spotted a cute boy and followed him around the various visitor centers. After the family photo at the temple, she spotted him posing for his family photo at the temple. He really was pretty cute.

The afternoon was spent with me taking Cam and Court to The Gateway Mall, and Tom with Kenna and Maddy at the hotel pool. I was surprised how much a piece of denim could be sold for! We went into a store that said jeans were 50% off. Of course the original price was $180.00! Uh, no.

The reception was at an old church by the University. It had a beautiful pond and lots of big trees. It was a nice night. We visited with Tom's other brother Ray and his wife, Jillyn a very talented photographer. I want to stay with her and be her apprentice!

Saturday
After meeting my parents for brunch, we left Salt Lake and headed back to the cabin. We got to the cabin in time for dinner and made Carne Asada for those that were there. Later that night we drove down to the hot springs to soak and play. It felt so good!

Sunday
In all the years we have gone to the cabin, we have never gone to church in Elba. We would usually go down to Burley to Tom's moms ward. This time we decided to stay. It was a nice little church and a nice little ward. We felt like all eyes were on us when we walked in. I don't think they get too many visitors.

Later we went down and had dinner with Tom's brother Ned and his wife Mary, the parents of the groom. It was good to reconnect with his family. They are good people.

Monday
After cleaning up the cabin, we took off for Boise to spend some time with my sister and her four kids. My kids were really looking forward to seeing them. They have grown so much!
When I was young, my sister and I did not get along. There was just the two of us, and we clashed! It is so nice to see that she grew up into a lovely person who is extremely talented. (I, of course, was already perfect, and didn't need to grow up;)

Tuesday
Sadly, we packed up and started for home. The whole trip, what amazed me the most, was how well our kids got along with each other. I don't remember any bickering. I do remember lots of laughter. I hope that is what they remember as well.

I am so grateful we know so many wonderful people we get to call family!

5 comments:

dandee said...

So glad you guys are home safe and had a happy family trip! :)

meohmyers said...

Wow! What a great trip! I love all the pictures. Don't you just love our camera? :) So glad you had a safe trip and made lots of great memories!

Heather said...

Sounds like fun! How cool that you got to go through the Twin Falls, Temple.

Elizabeth said...

glad you had fun!
blog4ever♥☺♥

Jodi said...

That's awesome! I'm so glad you guys were able to have such a fun trip.